Student Undergraduate Research Council (SURC)
About the Council
The Student Undergraduate Research Council (SURC) promotes undergraduate research for students at the University of Central Florida.
Council members’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advising the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) on programming and other efforts.
- Attending bi-weekly meetings with OUR staff.
- Promoting undergraduate research at workshops, tabling events, and speaking engagements.
- Working as a team to develop, strengthen, and expand undergraduate research awareness at UCF.
Council members should expect to spend approximately 10 hours per month, including evenings and occasional weekend events, working on SURC events and supporting the Office of Undergraduate Research. SURC members’ term of service on the Council begins with Orientation, the day after Spring 2019 finals end.
As a benefit of serving on this council, SURC members who have completed at least 15 hours of service and are in good standing with the Council are eligible for up to $300 in research funding.
If you are interested in applying to be part of the Council, the following criteria must be met:
- Prior research experience (at least one semester)
- A minimum 2.75 UCF GPA.
- Graduation no earlier than May 2020. All SURC members should plan to continue their research and maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their term on the Council.
Applications for the 2019-2020 SURC Cohort are now open and are due April 12, 2019.
Summer Research Academy Peer Mentors
Undergraduate students with experience in research and creative activities bring vital knowledge with them to the SRA which they share with participants in several ways:
- Serve as lab tour guides escorting students to their specific destinations
- Serve as resource personnel for student participants who have questions regarding the academy
- Serve as mentors to students regarding the UCF research experience
- Assist with set-up of individual sessions during the academy
- Provide additional support on tasks as requested by Summer Research Academy Staff
To be considered for a position as a Summer Research Academy Peer Mentor, students must:
- Be currently engaged in research (or be Spring 2019 graduates with extensive research experience)
- Be a current UCF undergraduate, or a recent graduate with extensive research experience
- Be available for the entire duration of the event (July 18, 19, and 20) and the following additional dates:
- Monday, July 8: 3 – 7 p.m.
- Monday, July 15th: 3 – 7 p.m.
- August 5: 12 – 5 p.m.
Currently conducting research? Please fill out the Peer Mentor Application. Applications are due May 31.
OUR Peer Mentors
OUR Peer Mentors work in the Office of Undergraduate Research throughout the year. These Peer Mentors run our Peer Advising Hours, in which they provide guidance, advice, and support to students who are just getting started with undergraduate research and students who are already involved. They also assist in outreach activities, such as class visits and tabling events. This is a one-year commitment which typically begins in the summer semester and runs through the end of the Spring term (at least).
Applications for the 2019 – 2020 Peer Mentor position is now closed