Champion of Undergraduate Research Award
This new faculty award is designed to honor outstanding faculty mentors who are supporting undergraduate research across the UCF campus and within their own research teams. Self-nominations will be accepted.
There will be two awardees in 2019, who will be recognized during the Research Week kick-off event on Monday, April 1. Awardees will also be recognized on the OUR website. Their departments and college leadership will also be notified of the recognition.
The awardees will be selected by a faculty committee, based upon the following criteria:
- Depth of document involvement (e.g. # of students compared to department, program involvement among students mentored)
- Contribution to the culture of undergraduate research at UCF
- Student achievements
Preference will be given to those who have not been previously recognized by our Mentor of the Year award.
Nomination packets are due February 4, 2019
Applicants are strongly encouraged to have completed the following:
- Served as a faculty member at UCF for at least three years
- Been the primary mentor for five or more undergraduate researchers over the course of at least two semesters
- Had students who participated in structured programs such as Honors in the Major, Research and Mentoring Program, or the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Mentored students who have disseminated their work at UCF and beyond (e.g., internal and external conferences, publications)
- Applicants must be professors or lecturers who meet the OUR Policy on Faculty Mentors.
SURC Mentor of the Year
Faculty are nominated for this award by their undergraduate researchers. Nominations are reviewed by the Student Undergraduate Research Council, a group undergraduate researchers from across the campus. Winners are announced annually in April during Research Week.
Congratulations to Faculty Mentor of the Year, Dr. Stephen Florczyk of UCF’s Materials Science & Engineering Department. The winning nomination letter recognizing Dr. Florczyk’s singular impact on her undergraduate research experience was submitted by his mentee, Minh-Chau Le.