Champion of Undergraduate Research Award
This new faculty award is designed to honor outstanding faculty mentors who are supporting undergraduate research across the UCF campus and within their own research teams. Self-nominations will be accepted.
Awardees are recognized during Student Research Week and on the OUR website. Their departments and college leadership will also be notified of the recognition.
The awardees will be selected by a faculty committee, based upon the following criteria:
- Depth of consistent, documented involvement (e.g. # of students compared to department, program involvement among students mentored)
- Contribution to the culture of undergraduate research at UCF at the department and college-level, as well as involvement as a mentor to student researchers
- Student achievements
Preference will be given to those who have not been previously recognized by our Mentor of the Year award.
Nomination packets are due at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, February 3, 2020; the call will open on December 2nd, 2019.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to have completed the following:
- Served as a faculty member at UCF for at least three years
- Been the primary mentor for five or more undergraduate researchers over the course of at least two semesters (applicants should have a consistent record of mentorship)
- Had students who participated in structured programs such as Honors in the Major, Research and Mentoring Program, or the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, among others
- Mentored students who have disseminated their work at UCF and beyond (e.g., internal and external conferences, publications)
- Applicants must be professors or lecturers who meet the OUR Policy on Faculty Mentors.
SURC Mentor of the Year
Faculty are nominated for this award by their undergraduate researchers. Nominations are reviewed by the Student Undergraduate Research Council, a group undergraduate researchers from across the campus. Winners are announced annually in April during Research Week.
Congratulations to Faculty Mentor of the Year, Dr. Geoffrey Cook of UCF’s Biology department.The winning nomination letter recognizing Dr. Cook’s singular impact on her undergraduate research experience was submitted by his mentee, Adam Searles.
2018: Dr. Stephen Florczyk (Materials Science and Engineering) nominated by Minh-Chau Le
2017: Dr. Luis Favela (Philosophy) nominated by Zachariah Neemah
2016: Dr. Linda Walters (Biology) nominated by Julie Deslauriers
2015: Dr. Joanna Mishtal (Anthropology) nominated by Tiernan Middleton
2014: Dr. Christopher Parkinson (Biology) nominated by Hollis Dahn
2013: Dr. Joshua Colwell (Physics) nominated by Allison Bratcher
2012: Dr. Karen Mottarella (Psychology) nominated by Emily Edwards
2011: Dr. Andrew Daire (Counselor Education)
2010: Dr. Bernadette Jungblut (Political Science)
2009: Dr. Michael Georgiopoulos (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
2008: Dr. Ken Teter (Biomedical Sciences)