Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
This fellowship is an academic scholarship to support students staying in Orlando to take classes and devote time to their academic research. To receive the funds, students must be taking classes in Summer C or A.
This program provides new or recently started researchers an opportunity to engage in a summer research community work on developing a poster presentation by the end of the summer on the work completed.
Proposals for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) require the following components:
- A research project proposal
- A cover letter
- A 1-page resume
- A letter of recommendation from your faculty mentor
- There is NOT a GPA requirement, however, any students on academic probation will not be considered for this research opportunity.
- All applicants must have a UCF faculty mentor to receive a SURF Fellowship offer. Students should work closely with their mentors while drafting their proposal.
- Applicants cannot graduate at the end of the summer semester in which they are SURF Fellows.
Get Support Writing Your Proposal:
SURF Fellowships are competitive, but there are several resources that you can take advantage of to strengthen your proposal:
- Meet with an OUR staff member to learn how to make improvements to your application.
- Attend a Write a Strong Proposal for OUR Summer Fellowships and Research Grants workshop
- Visit UCF Career Services for a resume critique
- Utilize the resources on the UCF University Writing Center’s website for cover letter support or schedule a consultation for support with your whole proposal.
Fellows are required to:
- Attend six SURF scholars workshops throughout the summer. Topics covered include poster preparation, creating a research portfolio, how to be successful at conferences, etc.
- Commit at least 10 hours a week to their research project for the duration of the program
- Present a poster of your research at the end of the summer at our UCF Summer Research Showcase.
*See further details (including program dates) on the application page.